Earlier this year Auckland Council consulted Aucklanders on where they’d like their rates money to be spent over the next 10 years.
Submissions indicated strong support for local projects that were already in the Orakei Local Board’s pipeline, including the Meadowbank Community Centre upgrade and the proposed Pourewa (Selwyn) station project.
Other projects to be funded by the board over the next 10 years include:
- advocating for bringing forward the upgrade of the Meadowbank Community Centre. The Board is also progressing concept design for the centre and looking at opportunities to progress upgrade work earlier through a Public Private Partnership.
- upgrading playgrounds and paved seating area at Glover Park
- developing the Shore Road eastern car park
- installing new sports field lighting at Orākei Domain, Crossfield Reserve, Madills Farm and Shore Road Reserve
- continuing to advocate to Auckland Transport to progress the Tāmaki Harbour Edge Connector boardwalk (from Mechanics Bay to St Heliers)
- continuing to advocate to Auckland Transport to progress the Pourewa (Selwyn) Station project
- advocating to the governing body for a more equitable balance between larger-scale regional initiatives and investment at the local level.
A focus on sports fields and reserves in 2015/16
After considering the feedback, the board will progress the following projects in 2015/2016: the Glover Park entrance upgrade, sports field lighting at Orakei Domain and Crossfield Reserve, upgrading the entranceway at Crossfield Reserve and installing a new toilet at Madills Farm. It will also complete design and consent for the Shore Road Eastern car park and progress physical works the following year.
In 2016/2017 the board will install sports field lighting at Madills Farm and Shore Road Reserve.